Genna M. Hurd
Associate Researcher ,
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Current Areas of Research
- Professional Activities (since 2000)
- Vitae (pdf)
Genna Hurd has been with the Institute since September of 1988.
M.U.P., Master of Urban Planning, School of Architecture and Urban Design, the University of Kansas, 1983.
B.S.B., Bachelor of Science in Business, with Distinction, Business and Biology, School of Business, the University of Kansas, 1979.
- Manages the EDA-funded KU University Center (UC) activities at IPSR, which includes working with the KU Center for Entrepreneurship in the School of Business to develop and enhance the UC, cultivate and maintain economic development liaisons across the university, throughout the state, and with similar programs across the U.S., direct and carry out technical assistance and applied research, and fulfill the administrative duties related to the UC;
- Co-edits the Kansas Statistical Abstract;
- Works on IPSR research projects, such as the Evaluation and Assessment of the Kansas NSF EPSCoR (KNE) Program, Study of Technical Education for the Kansas Board of Regents, Evaluation of the Kansas Department of Commerce, Assessment of the Technical Training Needs of the Lawrence Community, and Trends in the Kansas Economy 1985-2006;
- Conducts economic and demographic research on Kansas and its regions, counties, and communities;
- Assists with the planning and organization of the annual Kansas Economic Policy Conference;
- Assists with the management of the Kansas County Profiles and web site for "KU Entre. Works for KS"; and
- Responds to special requests for research relating to rural community economic development and strategic planning.
- evaluation and assessment of policy and programs utilizing focus groups, interviews, and surveys, such as the assessment of the science, engineering, and math infrastructure in Kansas and the evaluation of the business development efforts of the Kansas Department of Commerce;
- demographic and economic statistics on Kansas;
- trends and indicators of the Kansas economy at the community, county, and state levels,
- strategic planning in Kansas, particularly community economic development efforts and non-profit organizations; and
- economic development in Kansas communities, how communities organize, plan, and finance their efforts.
- University Economic Development Association (UEDA), Secretary/Treasurer, 2013-present; Past-President, 2008-09; President, 2007-08; President Elect, 2006-07; Vice President, 2005-06; Board of Directors, 2004-2009 and 2012-13; Awards of Excellence Committee, 2009-14, Chair, 2013; UEDA Annual Summit Committee, 2005-2009 and 2014, Chair, 2007; Operations Management Selection Committee, 2011; Membership and Marketing Committee 2011-12; Co-Chair, Bylaws Review Committee, 2008
- KU Center for Sustainability, IPSR Sustainability Ambassador, 2009-present
- KU Communicators, 2013-present
- Kansas Economic Policy Conference, presented by the Center for Science, Technology & Economic Policy (CSTEP), IPSR, the University of Kansas, 2005-present
- Kansas Association of Regional Development Organizations (KARDO), Non-voting member, representing the KU University Center Project, 2008-present
- EDA Seattle Region, Peer Review Panel, University Center Forum, 2012
- University of Kansas, Office of the Provost, Change Facilitator Training Committee, member and trainer, 2011, Change Facilitator Pool, 2012
- Educational Association of University Centers (EAUC), Interim Board of Directors, Denver Region, 2009-12; Chair, Bylaws Review Committee, 2010
- Finalists Selection Committee, 8 Wonders of Kansas Commerce, Kansas Sampler Foundation, 2008